Monday, April 2, 2012

One Month In

Random thoughts about my first month in Angola:
·  I completely understand why everyone I met when I first got here told me to “be patient.”
·  Note to self: Do not, under any circumstances, marry anyone in the oil business!
·  If you ask 5 people the same question, you will get 5 different answers and end up more confused than when you started. I have decided to succumb to my daily bewilderment about everything that is going on around me.
·  I am keenly aware of my whiteness everywhere I go.
·  Angolans believe me to be extremely privileged and wealthy.  I am not at all comfortable with this assumption, which is based entirely on my appearance, but I understand it. I recognize the immense disparity between my lifestyle here and that of most of the local people.
·  People don’t go to work or school when it rains. This was also true in Costa Rica and Nicaragua, so it doesn't come as a shock, but it also doesn’t make it less annoying.
·  Every time I ask a group of high school students which American singers they like, a teenage boy inevitably yells out “Celine Dion!”
·  Most of the Angolans that I have met realize that things are pretty messed up here, but feel powerless against the authoritarian government and its control over the resources and economy.
·  I have come to the conclusion that African women possess some sort of genetic advantage which allows them to carry massive amounts of stuff on their heads.
·  Going out for dinner usually leads to spending $50 on a mediocre meal.
·  Having a driver was at first very exciting, but is now getting a little old. I'm still getting used to the idea that I have to schedule everywhere I go at least a day in advance.
·  The streets and beach are used as public restrooms.
·  I live across the street from the beach but have never been there (see above).
·  Angolan people speak louder than anyone I have ever encountered.  What are you yelling about? Relax.
·I wish the cleaning lady would stop stealing my bananas.
·  The students all stand when I enter the room. It makes me feel very important and embarrassed all at the same time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment