Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Smorgasbord of Personal & Professional News

University Life

            Classes finally started (about a month and a half late) at the university. I’m enjoying being in the classroom again, but it does not come without its frustrations. This is definitely my most challenging teaching situation to date, mostly due to the lack of materials, class size, and general dysfunction of the administration. Let’s be clear here: This institution does not at all resemble an American university. Just to give you an idea, I asked the head of the English Department for a class roster and he looked at me like I had 3 heads. I have on average about 30 students on each of my four classes, but I am told that there should be more like 50. I really have no idea if the people sitting in front of me should be there or not.  I have come up with a strategy for situations such as this — “laugh it off and improvise.” I have to constantly remind myself that this is not the US.
            Being with the students is by far the best part of my job. My students are respectful, motivated, and receptive to me. The students are used to a very passive, rote style of teaching, so I have been impressed at how easily they have adjusted to my method, which is much more interactive. Upon meeting new students, their first question for me, without fail is, “Are you married?” More accurately, “Is the professor married?” Yes, they speak to me in the third person. This is how you show respect in Portuguese, but in English it’s totally weird. We are working on it. Anyway, when I answer, “No,” their follow up question is always “Why not?” What they’re really asking is. “What’s wrong with you?” I still haven’t come up with a clever response to this inquiry. Usually, I just shrug and say, “I don’t know. I’m just not,” and then feel really bad about myself for like 15 minutes.
            Tardiness is epidemic in Luanda, and the university is no exception. Culture, as well as the ridiculous traffic jams, are the major contributors to this problem. I decided to nip this in the bud, because if there is one thing I do not tolerate, it is tardiness. I instituted a very strict lateness policy, which was met with shock and appall. I’m pretty sure no one has ever tried to do this in the history of the Angolan education system. I like to think of myself as a trailblazer. Much to my surprise, the policy is actually having a positive effect on their behavior. I have far fewer late students, and when they do show up late, they are terrified to enter. Success!
            One other problem is that the courses I have been assigned to teach are not appropriate for the English level of the students.  Luckily, there is absolutely no oversight within the department so I pretty much do whatever I want. For example, I teach a course for the 4th year students (Seniors) entitled “Thesis Workshop.” I was instructed to teach them how to conduct research and compose a thesis. Right now, we are working on writing complete sentences. Clearly, there is somewhat of a disconnect between the skills and needs of the students and the expectations dictated by the administration. Again, “laugh it off and improvise.”

ANELTA (National Association of English Language Teachers of Angola) Conference

Last weekend, I was invited to give a presentation to about 60 local English teachers. My presentation was called “5 Tips for Creating a Student-Centered Classroom.” I assume it was riveting.  



Cazenga

            I’ve been working with the high school students in Cazenga regularly, and it is quickly becoming my favorite part of the week. Amidst the poverty and suffering, these kids offer a ray of hope. They make me feel like maybe everything won’t suck forever.
            The students came to the Embassy today for a tour and a Q & A session with the Ambassador. They asked questions like, “What can we do as students to improve our country? and What do you think about gender equality?” Pretty impressive. On Friday, I am taking two of my students at the university there to speak with them about continuing their education and studying English at the university level.

Easter Party

Party planners


          










 I helped organize the Easter party at the Embassy a few weeks ago. We had an Easter egg hunt, egg on a spoon races, egg toss, and arts and crafts. The kids had a really good time playing on the Embassy lawn, which I am pretty sure is the largest area of grass in Luanda.





Egg on a spoon

Birthday Festivities

            I have to say that I could never have imagined that I would be celebrating my 27th birthday on a rooftop in Angola, but that is exactly why I have chosen this life of adventure. My housemates and I had a BBQ complete with a DJ, rain, and hookers.
What?! Allow me to explain. An unfortunate reality of expat life here is that many of the men are not faithful to their wives back home. They often have Angolan “girlfriends,” who they provide for financially. They don’t speak the same language so I assume that they are not connecting on a deep, intellectual level. At best, these types of relationships are mutually exploitative; at worst, prostitution. Anyway, they know how to have a good time and they really brought a certain something to my birthday party, so no judgment.
     
On my actual birthday, I took off from work a little early and went to the beach, then out for a fancy dinner. Not a bad way to start the 27th year of my life. I have a feeling it's going to be a good one...

This event was also a going away party for my housemate, Andy

Dance party in the rain

Embassy friends

What's a BBQ without a few DJ's?


Birthday dinner

Rasta Party at the Marine House

No explanation necessary. 



No comments:

Post a Comment