Monday, March 5, 2012

KUDURO!!!

Kuduro literally translates to "hard butt." It's a musical style and dance that originated in Angola in the 1980's. I got my first taste of this lively tradition on Saturday night. Nadya, a former student of mine and native of Luanda, invited me to a family party.

Sidenote - This was also my first experience with "Angolan time." The party started at 2pm, Nadya told me she would pick me up at 3, she got to my house at 6, we arrived at the party at 7, and we weren't considered late. As one of my Angolan co-workers pointed out today, it's surprising that in a country where the life expectancy is 55, people think they have all the time in the world.

I took this video at the party. I call it "The Angolan Electric Slide"









Here is one of the most popular Kuduro songs and the most ridiculous music video I've ever seen.


No comments:

Post a Comment