Saturday, March 3, 2012

First Impressions

"If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere"

This is the general sentiment among both locals and expats here. Because living and working in Luanda can often be challenging, there is a strong sense of community among expats. I have received a tremendous amount of support from the staff at the US embassy and my housemates as I navigate life in this crazy place.




Chamber of Commerce of Angola event last night. I met the US ambassador to Angola and several big players in the oil industry here. I have no idea why I was invited.

What the heck am I doing here?

To be honest, I was a little fuzzy on the details of my job before I arrived, but I have a much better idea now. The English Language Fellow program is a public-private partnership between the US Dept. of State, which is why I'm affiliated with the embassy, and AMEC-Paragon, a Houston-based oil company. AMEC is providing my housing, which is why I live with 15 middle-aged white dudes. They are also supplying me with transportation. Because of security issues, a driver takes me everywhere. We are quickly becoming best friends.

The primary goal of my fellowship is to improve the English program at Universidade Agostinho Neto. I will be teaching 2 courses at the university and also working wth the head of the English Dept. on the curriculum. AMEC recently renovated the English Dept. office at the university. It's incredibly modern for this city.
















My colleague at the university, Rocha





The other aspect of my job is community involvement. The embassy has English programs at schools in the most impovershed areas of the city. Starting next week, I'll be spending time with the kids there, assessing the programs, and ordering English materials.






No comments:

Post a Comment