Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Giving Thanks



This year was my first Thanksgiving away from home so I was a little nervous that I would be homesick. It hasn't happened too much here, but once in a while, when the whole family is together or I see a picture on Facebook with all of my friends sharing a drink, I get that nagging feeling like I am missing out. Holidays are especially hard to be away from home. The familiar faces, smells, and tastes are not here, but the spirit of the day certainly was. Thanksgiving is about taking a moment to share a meal with those around you and appreciate all that you have. I feel forunate to live in a place where I am reminded every day of how blessed I am; not only for what is waiting for me when I get back - family, friends, a roof over my head, but what I have here. In this chaotic little pocket of the world we live in, where daily life is often frustrating and we are surrounded by suffering, friends are what keep us going. I have already said good-bye to so many people here who I can truly call friends, and in 2 weeks I will bid farewell to many more. If this nomadic lifestyle has taught me anything, it's that people are far more important than places. I have lived in beautiful locales and been terribly lonely and in crappy ones and have had the time of my life. I'll take the crappy places any day. The people are usually cooler.  

No comments:

Post a Comment