Monday, November 5, 2012

Coming and Going


I’m sorry Angola, but the US is just better. The past 8 months that I have spent in Angola is the longest period of time I’ve been out of the US. While other trips abroad, especially those to developing countries, really made me appreciate home, this experience has brought that appreciation to a whole new level. I found myself smiling to myself as I drove my own car to the grocery store. I gazed at the autumn leaves and the clear, blue sky. It was just your regular run-of-the-mill suburban side street, but to me, it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. The fact that I was able to hop in my car and go to Stop & Shop because I was really craving pumpkin spice creamer for my coffee, was just about the most amazing feat I could imagine. Upon arriving at the pristine store, full of shiny produce and clearly marked aisles, I became overwhelmed. Just like my first time at an Angolan grocery store, I walked around aimlessly, paralyzed by shock and awe. I didn’t put anything in my cart. I think this is what they call reverse culture shock. Unlike my Angolan shopping experience, where I felt lost and confused because I didn’t see anything remotely edible, this time there were too many things I wanted. I wanted it all. I went home and caught up on the DVR and just thought “Wow, this country is awesome,” and I couldn’t understand why I ever left such an amazing place.

The reason for my return was to attend my brother’s wedding; therefore, much of the week leading up to the big day was about pampering myself. Somewhere around the 4th or 5th month of being here, I started to let myself go. No makeup, pedicures, or highlights. I haven’t seen my blow dryer in ages and even started wearing flip flops to work. Before arriving back in the States, I made an absurd amount of beauty appointments – mani/pedi, facial, massage, haircut and color, eyebrow wax, you name it, I had it done. At the wedding, all my family and friends kept saying how great I looked. "­Oh, thanks," I humbly replied, but what I really wanted to say was, "I know! It took all week to look this good!"

The day before leaving for Angola, as my sister and I relaxed on the couch, I said "I can't imagine physically being back there." It seemed like a another world, another life. I was back to my real life, with my family and my friends who have known me for years, and I loved it.  Don't get me wrong, coming here has been one of the best decisions I have ever made and I like my life here too, but nothing compares to home. So now I'm back, and like most things, the idea of it was worse than the reality. Since it took 3 days to get here, I was more than delighted to be "home" when I finally landed in Luanda. I spent the weekend catching up with friends and sleep. Now it's Monday and it feels like I never left.





* I have to give a special shout out to my #1 fan and new dad, Jimmy Riel. I'm looking forward to awkwardly holding Molly again.

No comments:

Post a Comment