Friday, August 10, 2012

Never a Dull Moment


One characteristic of life here is that even the most seemingly mundane situations can lead to marvelously awkward adventures.


          It was a Saturday morning around 8:00 when I heard a rattling at my bedroom door. I awoke unalarmed. This was an occurrence I had grown accustomed to. The oil workers with whom I live work on Saturdays, but I do not. Even though I have been living in this house for 6 months, the maids have not caught on. Every Saturday, they attempt to enter my room while I am sleeping, realize I am still in my bed, and close the door. If I’m not sleeping, I’m usually doing something equally as private, like taking a shower or changing. They have this uncanny ability to enter my room at the precise moment when it is the most inappropriate. I’m almost positive that I am the only one who feels uncomfortable when this happens. On several occassions, the maid has come into the bathroom to collect my dirty laundry while I’m in the shower, which, by the way, has a see-through, glass door.
            So on this particulat Saturday, I simply rolled over when I heard the key enter the lock, turning furiously, the maid finally gave up, or so I thought. I was hovering somewhere in between sleep and conciousness when I heard a toilet flush, and then water running. I kept my eyes closed, convinced that the rubmlings were coming from the room next door. I rolled over again and felt a presence beside me. I opened my eyes to see the maid standing directly over me, wiping my night table. With an audible gasp, our eyes met. “Disculpa (excuse me),” she muttereed matter-of-factly. Not at all embarrassed or affected by this awkward situation. “Depois! Depois! (later),” I screamed. She slowly exited the room, taking her cleaning supplies with her, as I caught my breath and attepted to descrease my heart rate. “Did that really just happen?” I thought. There are 7 other rooms in this house and she needed to clean my bathroom, 3 feet away from my sleeping body, exactly at this moment? Needless to say, by then I was fully alert. It wasn’t the best way to start the day, but it was a start nonetheless.
            Later that evening, I went to a BBQ at the marine house. It was a pretty uneventful night until the ride home. The driver picked me up around 11pm and we started on our journey home. This driver, let’s call him Mario, is my favorite. Not only is he competent and punctual, but he is a pleasure to be in the car with. I genuinely enjoy his company and I like to think that we have become friends over the past few months.  
            As we began chatting, I noticed that he was acting a bit strange – his voice was an octave higher and he was laughing more heartily than usual. I started to think that he might be drunk, which was obviously unsettling since this man had my life in his hands. Also, the streets of Luanda are not exactly safe, even under the best conditions. We approached my street, which is a wide stretch along the beach. “We’re almost home, I thought. Its gonna be OK.” Just then, Mario drove directly into a line of traffic cones in the middle of the street. THUD! This wouldn’t have been a big deal if there had not been 3 police officers standing on the side of the  road. One of them immediately motioned for us to pull over. This could be bad.
            It must be mentioned that the police in Angola are not like the police in the US. Their job is not to protect citizens, but to support the ruling party and line their own pockets while doing so. The transit police are a mainstay of the Luanda landscape. They stand at every intersection, randomly pulling cars over and asking drivers for their documents. If the driver does not have the proper documentation, then he must pay a gasosa (bribe) and be on his way. Anyone can be asked for ID at any time, especially foreigners. One time, my car was pulled over by the immigration police and I was asked for identification. Luckily, I had a copy of my passport on me. I asked the driver, “What would have happened if didn’t have my passport?” He answered, “Oh, you would just have to pay a gasosa.” Police encounters here are nothing short of terrifying, for me anyway. The rules here are not the same, and I know that they are certainly not on my side.
            The officer directed Mario to get out. They walked to the back of the car and joined the other 2 officers. So here I am – alone in the backseat of a car while my drunk driver is interrogated by 3 Angolan policemen. 10 minutes crawled by. My mind was awash with possible scenarios of how this was going to end, each one more devastating than the last. I wonder what an Angolan jail is like. Is it OK to start crying now? Just then, Mario walked over to my door on the other side of the car. I rolled down the window. Looking into his eyes, I was certain now that he was intoxicated. Uh oh, crazy thoughts taking over again. “I need 1,000 kwanza.” He says, “Gasosa.”
          “Of course,” I answer as I feverishly rummage through my purse. I hand him the bill – about $10. He walks back to the policemen, hands one of them the cash, and gets back in the driver’s seat. The tension in the car was palpable. Mario spent the rest of the ride home apologizing and explaining that we was at home before he picked me up and he’s been having problems with his family. He ensures me that he will pay me back on Monday. “That’s not necessary,” I told him. I was more than happy to never see that money again. In my mind, that $10 just saved me from being the star on the next episode of Locked Up Abroad.
           


Oh, and then there was the day that I came home to this….



The area on the left is where the stove used to be. The wood supporting the sink and stove was completey rotted and finally just collapsed. Looks like it will be Easy Mac for dinner tonight.  

No comments:

Post a Comment