Monday, June 18, 2012

1 Down, 1 to Go

Well, I survived one semester and all in all I feel pretty good about it. This has been, by far, the most challenging teaching environment that I have been thrown into. No curriculum, no materials, 30-40 students per class (I am used to 15 max). And, in case you were wondering, I never did receive an attendance list. Still wingin’ it on that one.  
One of my major obstacles at the start of the semester was the incessant tardiness of the students. I can’t say I have completely solved the problem, but it has definitely improved and I have gained quite the reputation around school for being “very strict and very punctual.” I’m OK with that. Occasionally, a student will attempt to stroll into class an hour late, which causes me to promptly give a long-winded lecture about the importance of punctuality – not only for them as individuals, but for society as a whole.  Apparently sometimes I think that my job here is to change the mindset of an entire country. That is why they pay me the big bucks, after all.
During the last week of the semester, I asked my students to provide some feedback about the course. They were asked to write down what they liked, didn’t like, and give a suggestion for next semester. This was the best idea I’ve ever had. Sure, this will provide valuable insight on my performance and help me to develop professionally, but more importantly, their responses made me laugh out loud…and that’s really what it’s all about. Here are some of my favorites:
·         Truly speaking you are intelligent.
·         You are always on time. Keep it. My congratulations.
·         I don’t find a pessimistic angle on this course because it is my favorite.
·         I didn’t like the schedule, 4 times the same subject, although teacher motivated us, sometimes it was annoying. God bless you and your family!
·         I learned to come on time.
·         She could make us use our 6 senses because her lessons were very good.
·         I could realize that beside being beautiful she is also a very good professor.
·         I would like to say to God protect you today and forever.
·         You are the one.
·         I would like to have for next semester tough exercises and not babies exercises.
·         The system you use is good. The American system.
·         I’d like to study with a tape and songs of the most American singers like Lionel Richie, Michael Jackson, etc.
·         What I just found out on you is that you are just too liberal. Sometimes my classmates make such kind of horrible noises when they are making conversation.
·         I have learned many things about your lesson but I wanna receive more about you…
 

No comments:

Post a Comment